Tuesday, October 25, 2011

i went to bed last night with a fever and a sore throat. i am slow this morning and hope that by this afternoon i'm feeling well enough to spend the evening selling books as i'm scheduled to do. i'm drinking tea instead of coffee. and soon i'll have some orange juice.
ironing strips of fabric shouldn't be too much effort for me today. the iron is now almost permanently set up in the living room. angled so i can watch tv with tom. the heavy wooden ironing board that tom's mother gave me. it was her grandmother's. tom found it at the cottage this summer and i fell in love with it's heavy wooden top and steady, unswerving legs. so now it sits in the living room with an old faded quilt on top. and i iron fabric in the evenings.
and sweet edgar keeps my world cozy and warm. he settled in with me last night while tom was at work. we snuggled by the fire and i pored over jermalism's fascinating photos of abandoned buildings. a cozy warm night, even if i was sick.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Annette:
    We are sorry to read that you are feeling under the weather and do so hope that you will soon be more yourself.

    How wonderful to have the company of Edgar. He looks a magnificent animal and such a soulful expression that surely can melt any heart.

    Take care and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annette,

    I'm so sorry you are feeling under the weather. This is the time of the year when the seasons change that people come down with colds and flu.

    M m-i-l had a wooden ironing board permanently set up in her kitchen in front of a window that overlooked her back yard. When it wasn't used for ironing anyone coming in from outside would lay their winter coats and purses on it. LOL LOL We used to laugh about what would happen if she moved it. Once she did move it just to see what would happen and everyone just dropped it on the floor where the board was supposed to be. LOL LOL

    You have such a sweet dog! I love dogs. My last dog (a labrador/retriever passed away at the old age of 12 years old about 4 years ago. I have yet to get another dog. My heart still grieves for her. She went everywhere with me and was always at my side or by my feet.

    I hope you have a speedy recovery.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette, i wish you `ll get better soon. like the story of your iron board. i like things with stories -and i laughed with Kris`s story ; )
    and ( i am whispering this ) i think R is going to buy me a dog for christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. get well soon dear Annette,
    your room looks very cozy, your paintings really add something special, it's very nice to have a good friend like Edgar, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you feel better soon. I LOVE your ironing board. I have never liked the way mine have always felt un-sturdy. Oh, I hope Demie gets a dog for Christmas! That would be wonderful. Give Edgar a good pet and a hug from me (and Floyd too). I some how feel Floyd and Virgil are related because I didn't like either name when I got to your house, but now I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i slept most of the afternoon and called in sick to work. thank you for all the lovely wishes and stories...
    kris, there is nothing better than an ironing board to throw things on.
    lisa....i love how you love floyd. he slept with me this afternoon.
    jane and lance....the photos of your house made my morning
    renilde....thank you for your sweet words
    and demie....it will make my christmas if you get a dog. i want you so badly to have a dog to soak up all your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your health is restored soon lovely lady. Xxx

    ReplyDelete