Wednesday, March 7, 2012

there is wind curling all around the house. it makes deep shadowed sounds against the stone walls and into the living room chimney. hollow and vibrant. it makes music with the giant spring that tries to keep the door of the front porch closed. and picks up the door and slams it. the moon is large and dramatic. dancing with the layered changling clouds and the thick black branches. there is a sudden high pitched scream of the wind through a flag pole. the sort of sound we hear in the summer when the boats and the wind become a possessed sort of choir. but our harbour's boats are quiet and still in their winter poses. silenced in their tombs. now i will head up the stairs to my crowded warm bed. with the baritone roar fresh in my ears. and there will be scraping of branches across the the little bedroom window. with the moon smiling from behind. the distant sound of waves cracking. and the contented sounds of sleepy tom and sleeping cats.

6 comments:

  1. I love your sensory descriptions. I can hear the wind and the waves and the cats, at a distance, but I hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post. sounds like being at your house would scare me to death, at least for a couple of days. I'm used to big city noise. everything else is always slightly disconcerting to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know for the life of me I've never coped well with ferocious winds (although i loved the film The Perfect Storm... must be the Clooney factor) I'm quite the fraidy cat... you make it sound so romantic, so Jane Eyre. Methinks I would probably need a stiff drink and some ear plugs!
    ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds almost reassuring to me...the branches scraping against the bedroom window, the ferocious winds and the moon all bright and shining.

    I had the same feeling when I use to walk up my stairs and hear the boards beneath creaking as I made my way up or the winds howling and sounding like they were coming through a tunnel. It never scared me, it just comforted me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the sounds and images you paint. Lovely description. So accurate, makes it very real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that we always seem to have the same weather. I miss you too.

    ReplyDelete